Running a full node is one of the strongest actions of support you can do for a peer-to-peer distributed protocol. Every single node that runs on the network adds strength and resilience to the consensus mechanism and is the embodiment of strength in numbers.
At a personal level, running your own node is an excellent way to get hands on with the Decred protocol, Linux and the Raspberry Pi.
This is an inexpensive learning project with a large impact and a great learning curve.
This guide is will show you how to setup a Raspberry Pi Decred full node on a Raspberry Pi from start to finish. Anyone who can operate a Decred wallet is more than capable of setting up a Raspberry Pi DCR node.
Setting up a Raspberry Pi is well documented elsewhere so I will provide relevant links to help you along the way.
I intend this module to be accessible for all skill levels. As such I use a VNC server (remote desktop) which may help people ease into using SSH only command line. Skill should not prevent anyone running a Decred node!
Installing the latest Raspbian operating system is well documented. Your process should be:
Here we will establish a remote connection to the Pi via SSH using PuTTy.
3. Run the following commands to update your Pi and install VNC Server
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install realvnc-vnc-server realvnc-vnc-viewer
4. Harden your Pi. This boosts the security of your Pi and makes it much harder for any attackers to get in. This process is covered in depth here. All steps are important.
5. Next we will edit the screen resolution settings in this config file so that it appears nicely on a standard Laptop screen when we connect via the VNC server.
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
6. Edit the lines as shown in the image below (in white) by deleting the # and updating the resolution numbers. Hit Ctrl + O to write out the file and then Ctrl + X to exit back to console.
7. Next we need to enable VNC on the Pi by following the first few steps of this guide.
Interfacing Options --> VNC --> YES
8. It is worthwhile rebooting your Pi at this stage, confirm you can login using your new credentials and changed password and connect both PuTTy SSH and VNC Viewer.
3. Once the file has downloaded, it will be located in your Downloads folder. Navigate here via the SSH command line (via PuTTy).
Note — From this point on, you do not require the VNC remote desktop and can do it all via SSH. However, I prefer to use VNC and then open up terminal within the Pi so I can see how dcrd is tracking and not lose my session when I close PuTTy.)
4. We need to set the file to be an executable before we can run it. dcrinstall will initiate the download and install of the required files for your node. (Note, be sure to update the file version as required in the script below if it is different, v1.4.0 at the time of writing).
sudo chmod u+x dcrinstall-linux-arm-v1.4.0
5. A folder called ./decred has now been placed in your home directory. It will take a short while (5mins) to download and setup all files.
2. The Decred daemon will boot up and start connecting to peers
3. If you wish to setup a wallet on this node, open up a new version of terminal and run to following command and follow the prompts.
Decreds official documentation has a guide for accessing all functions via dcrctl and controlling dcrd and dcrwallet.
Hopefully this was a useful step by step guide for setting up your first Decred full node. This is a great way to start learning and getting comfortable with command line, IoT and most importantly, contributing a small but powerful CPU to the Decred consensus engine.
The full node setup guide by Stakey.club remains a useful reference for additional and more advanced steps including setting up your node to run via TOR which is a recommended next step. Experiment and have fun learning along the way!
You can find me on Twitter (@_Checkmatey_) where I post regular content around the fundamentals and on-chain behaviour of Bitcoin and Decred.
You can also find me over at Ready Set Crypto where our team delivers the highest quality fundamental research and pairs it with sound technical analysis for the emerging digital economy.
All the Best,
Thanks to Haon (@NoahPierau) for reminding me about port forwarding!
Signed Message (Article Title): HzcfJgaawdcUs30LOi7IQisgp9KunzOQrTQjwolhcE4gXbnS08RBYr+ukzGY4K3fKwWRBPo37sn1bLloo0EmFs4=
Community | 커뮤니티 예의는 지켜주세요 ♥
Community | [crypto cash] 크립토 캐시 그것이 알고싶다.
Community | 상장사 이름을 알려주세요
좋은정보 감사용 추천하고 갑니다 코로나 조심하시고 예수님 믿고 구원 받으세요
Community | [crypto cash] 크립토 캐시 그것이 알고싶다.
토큰뱅크 가입당시 휴대폰의 otp 를, 새로운 휴대폰으로 바꾼후 구글 otp다운로드후 사용 안되나요??? 지금 상황이 가입당시 휴대폰이 아니라서요;;
Community | otp인증
Write a post
Are you sure you want to delete this post?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Purchase has been completed.
닉네임을 설정 후 작성해주세요.